Historic Places Intern with Heritage NL
Heritage NL is a non-profit organization that promotes the conservation and awareness of Newfoundland and Labrador’s historic places and the safeguarding of its Intangible Cultural Heritage. In addition it operates the Provincial Historic Commemorations Program. Heritage NL is seeking a qualified individual for the position of Historical Researcher to undertake a number of projects that will support the various programs of the foundation. These will include the development of short research papers on historical subjects, the rewriting of descriptive texts on designated properties, documentation of Registered Heritage Structures through field study, archival research, and oral histories.
Eligible candidates should have an undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field such as: history; archaeology, folklore; architecture; cultural geography; archaeology or other related field. Candidates must meet eligibility requirements under the YCW program and be a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador (although they may be enrolled in an educational institution outside of the province). The job will be situated at the Heritage NL offices in downtown St. John’s.
This is a 26 week position for 35 hours/week @ $20/hr.
Note well: Applicant must fit the following criteria:
- Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Will be between the ages of 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- Unemployed or underemployed;
- College, CGEP, or University graduate;
- Not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program.